Tuesday 7 July 2009

Book Review: CUT SHORT by LEIGH RUSSELL

I have just finished reading the debut novel of new writer Leigh Russell. Cut Short is a tightly woven psychological crime thriller. The story introduces us, the reader, to DI Geraldine Steel; a women who likes to do things her own way, a trait that doesn't always endear Steel to her boss DCI Kathryn Gordon. When the body of a young woman is found, strangled, in the local park, DI Steel is put on the case to catch the killer dubbed The Woolsmarsh Strangler. What follows is a tense hunt. The action gains momentum from page to page, culminating in a satisfying ending.

If I have one criticism about the novel, it is this: I wanted to learn more about DI Geraldine Steel. I wanted a deeper glimpse into her personal life. To learn more about what makes her tick. Steel comes across as a woman who knows her own mind, a woman who likes to make her own decisions. Leigh Russell lets us into DI Steel's work life fully, nothing hidden. I felt that when Geraldine Steel entered her more personal life, the door was somewhat closed to us. I would like to have seen more of the softness behind the steel. Perhaps that is to come...

Although crime fiction is not a genre I usually read,the plot was easy to follow and the characters realistic. I found Cut Short enjoyable and look forward to catching up with DI Geraldine Steel again.

You can order Cut Short through amazon.co.uk.

Find Leigh Russell at leighrussell.blogspot.com

7 comments:

Leigh Russell said...

Thank you very much, Akasha. What a wonderful and perceptive review. I don't suppose you might copy it onto amazon if you have a moment? No worries if you don't have time - I hope you don't mind my asking, and thank you again. I'm working on Geraldine. I struggled with her character in Book 1 but have lots of ideas I'm playing around with for Book 2. Thank you again. I'm so glad you enjoyed it. Your comments have really made my day!

Rick said...

A very balanced and intriguing review, Askasha. When I receive the book, I'm going to look closely at the point you raised. Thanks so much for reviewing Leigh's book to give me a sneak preview. Best, Rick

Akasha Savage. said...

Leigh - Of course I will put my review on amazon. Good luck.

Rick - Enjoy Cut, a worthy debut novel.

Akasha Savage. said...

Rick - read that as Cut Short!

Paula RC said...

Your novel sound very interesting, Akasha. How long has it taken you to research the background of your story?

Middle Ditch said...

I'm seeing Leigh on Saturday in Bath where I will buy the book and have it signed. Thanks for the synopsis. Can't wait to meet her and read the novel.

Anthony Rapino said...

I've been meaning to post and say great review. :-)