Thursday 4 December 2008

The Root of all Evil.

'Money can't buy friends, but you get a better class of enemy.'
Spike Milligan


As I was driving to work the other morning through torrential rain - my windscreen wipers going nineteen to the dozen, trying their utmost to cope with the downpour - I turned on the radio; just in time to catch the nine o' clock news. One of the featured stories caught my attention and I haven't stopped thinking about it since.

A postman (I can't remember from which part of the country...I want to say up north)
came across a wad of ten pound and twenty pound notes stuffed into a litter bin. The notes had all be cut up into thousands of tiny pieces; so small you couldn't make out the serial numbers. The postman, an honest chap, reported his findings to the police. After further investigation it was discovered that there was approximately ten thousand pounds (TEN THOUSAND POUNDS!!) in mutilated notes. And it was not fake.
The postman was told that if he could piece the notes together the Bank of England would exchange them for pristine cash.

That got me thinking....

What had led someone to cut up all those notes: they weren't shreaded, they were cut into tiny pieces with scissors; how long must that have taken?...why would they do that in the first place?...and would the postman have enough patience to piece the notes together again...would you?

Mmmm...I can feel a story coming on....

11 comments:

Rick said...

You definitely should do a story on this, Akasha. It's absolutely too cool of a story idea to pass up!

Akasha Savage. said...

Hi Rick...exactly what I thought. In fact by the time I'd driven to work that morning I already had the outline of a story in my head!

JR's Thumbprints said...

Of course the lead character, the shredded on the notes, should have some type of mental illness.

Mad Asthmatic said...

The idea that somebody spent that amount of time cutting up those bank notes is intiguing. Can't wait to read your story, I have several ideas popping into my head, maybe I'll give it a go as well.
MA

Vesper said...

Indeed, such an intriguing story... I'm looking forward to reading your version if you want to post it here. But I would also much like to know the truth behind this...

Akasha Savage. said...

JR - they certainly must be a bit
doo lally!

MA - excellent stuff! You must
post your story if you write
it. I am drafting mine at the
mo, and will post it as soon
as it's finished.

vesper - I would simply love to
know the truth behind this
story. It really makes you
think doesn't it.

Barbara Martin said...

That is a very interesting concept: the why would someone do that. I'm interested to see what you will come up with, and will check back later.

Linda G. said...

I'm Looking forward to your story Akasha!

AvDB said...

Deliberately cut with scissors, huh? I'd definitely like to see inside the mind of the person who'd do a thing like that.

Middle Ditch said...

I read the story. Would the postman glue the notes together? I would definitely try. It's a lot of money.

Come on Akasha, begin to write the story. I'm with Rick ...

Akasha Savage. said...

Hi Barbara - thanks for visiting the Darkside. The story should be posted in a week or two.

sheoflittlebrain - I'll try not to keep you waiting too long.

Avery DeBow - Welcome to the Darkside. I would love to know why the money was cut up...someone must have had a real good reason!

Middle Ditch - The story is on its way!